Monday, March 17, 2014

Year 59


As I approached turning 59 years old, I considered the number itself. It seems a little heavy somehow, compared to 60. Wouldn't it be fun to do something every day of that 59th year? I decided that each day I would, with eyes closed tight, select a word from my American Heritage Dictionary and inspired by that word, compose an acrostic poem.

I have been writing acrostic poems lately. Here is one example:

Pretend you’re
A sloth and
Take each breath
In time with your
Eternally long and finely
Nuan
Ced movem
Ents.

I was away from my computer for several days at the time of my birthday recently, so in this post I will provide the first two poems of my 59th year. Henceforth, I plan to post one each day. If anyone 'out there' is reading my blog, I will feel more accountable. The book Show Your Work by Austin Kleon inspired me to make blogging part of my daily life. I want to share the process. It's all part of the fun of participating in this vast universe.

March 15's poem:

Promising myself today to
Use all my
Resources throughout this next
Spin around the sun with utmost
Enthusiasm!

March 16, which I titled "Music to my ears" (can be heard as "music to my years"):
Trembling on the
Horizon, amazing atmospheric
Upheaval turns old to
New,
Drenching parched senses with
Energy-                                                           
Rich,
Staccato
Taps,
Oddly
Relaxing
My spirit. 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Consider yourself held accountable......no stress though! I enjoy the challenge you have given yourself. Especially fun for me to try and figure out what word you had to work with! Julie

Unraveling Y said...

Thank you, Julie! Yours is the first comment ever on this blog! Way to break ground! And now that I have dug into this project, I am finding it a truly fun mental exercise. Thank you so much for your encouragement.