Monday, January 2, 2012

1-2-1-2


Okay, so technically today should read zero-one-zero-two-two thousand twelve (or twenty twelve, which enjoys a nice little alliteration), at least in some countries. In others it would read zero-two-zero-one, etc. In my world, since I enjoy playing with numbers, I read it as a walking rhythm, one-two-one-two.
Mention of zeros reminds me of several debates I have had with an intelligent friend. Said friend always commented snidely about people using the letter 'o' in lieu of 'zero', when saying phone numbers, for example. A seeming insignificant peeve. I argued that the 'o' one hears in such cases would actually be written thus: 'o. The apostrophe represents 'zer-', just as it represents the letter 'a' in we're. It makes total sense to me.
Actually, I think this friend needed a little self-esteem boost. But I didn't fully realize that at the time. Instead, I staunchly defended my use of 'o', feeling my explanation a perfectly reasonable and correct one. I did not give space to, or consider very much what might have been going on with this friend at the time. Of course the past cannot be undone. That's okay. Now, when I feel very, very sure my answer is the best, the most plausible, the absolute truth, I stop myself. I look not just both ways before proceeding, but I try a whole 360 degrees. I consider my intention.
It's not so much a matter of attempting humility, but of recognizing that life need not be a competition. It is so liberating to let ideas settle on people as they will. We can't make anyone see things or believe things the way we do. We can't make them act the way we want them to. Yes, in some instances it's natural, or maybe even important that we try winning others over to our 'side'. It's the intention that matters.
Think of the zillions of different perceptions of people around the globe. It boggles the mind! All those eyes, windows on the soul, so to speak. I love that the '-ow' of window means 'eye'.
And so, I walk one-two-one-two around the earth, step by step, in my mind, and see that all of us need shelter, food, water, and to be able to sleep. We are all of us human beings together on this planet. Good night, Everyone!

No comments: