Sunday, January 1, 2012

Sushi and Collage


I send out to all beings in the world wishes for love, laughter, good health, and safety throughout this next year!
What do sushi and collage have in common? Both can be communal activities, the results of which can be shared by all. Both involve assembling raw materials, although sushi doesn't, or shouldn't include the concept of recycling. Both are art forms. Both are fun.
It was a wonderful way to welcome the New Year. Creative energy flowed. Ideas commingled. Seeming chance decisions evolved into something that made sense. It doesn't always happen that way. But I noticed that when I stopped trying to make what I thought others would deem an interesting collage, and just let it happen, I was happy with it and the way the colors and images worked together. I found connections I hadn't planned.
As for sushi, experimentation with various ingredients is always fun. The dabs of ginger wasabi sauce was too strongly sweet, but the wasabi seaweed crisps added a delightful seashore taste. How I miss those dark, wet masses of seaweed and kelp strung along the beach after high tide. The smell always compelled me to seek out a savory chowder.
I could get downright silly and say life is like sushi, with so many different factors rolled up together, each day a slice we consume to move on to the next. Or life is like a collage with its varied experiences creating one overall image, one persona.
Life is what it is: a transient mix, dynamic, never the same moment to moment. I find that comforting and exciting. The creative energy of the universe is vast. I am grateful to be a part of it.

No comments: