Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Happy 101st Birthday, Beverly!


Clearly Cleary is a
Legend
As her life and writing
Show. Today
She’ll likely celebrate
In her own style with
Carrot cake.


How I wish I had been a reader as a child! Beverly Cleary is so right about guiding children to love to read, not to do it because it is required. Reading was a challenge for me and while I enjoyed school and learning, I never read for pleasure until my late teens. Even then, there just didn’t seem enough time for it. It wasn’t until I had children of my own that I read the Ramona books and other classics by Cleary. I am so grateful that my daughters have always been avid readers. In my work as a literacy tutor, every day I try gently to instill in my young students a love of reading. Oh, the places you can go in books!

No comments: